Depression is a common but serious mental disorder that has a negative impact on the actions and thinking process of an individual, Generally speaking, it may be described as a continuous feeling of grief, sadness, despair and anger which might interfere with everyday activities of life.
According to Center of Disease Control and Prevention, around 8.1 American adults who 20 years old or above had signs and symptoms of depression in any given period from the year 2013-2016.
The way in which depression can be perceived by a person may vary from one individual to another. However, it always interferes with normal routine work and decrease the productivity of an individual. It may even have a deleterious effect on certain chronic diseases such as arthritis, asthma, cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
They may vary from one person to another; Following are the basic symptoms of the depression.
- Their mood can change easily, so they shown to be angry, aggressive, anxious or restless
- Soon their mood changes. Then they show end up feeling empty and lost
- A drastic change in behavior can be seen, they might complain of having suicidal thoughts, feeling tired all the time, no longer find pleasure in favorite hobbies
- Low sexual drive and a bad sexual performance might be one of the sign
- They might show a disturbance in their sleeping pattern. They be suffer from insomnia or they may even sleep more than usual
- Loss of interest in activities and social awkwardness
- They are tending irritated easily
- Can observed a change of sleeping pattern
- They might complain of feeling empty and hopeless
- They might show digestion problems such as changes in appetite, drastic weight gain or loss in a short period of time
- A drop in grades and a concentration collapse can be observed
- They might appear to be easily irritated, cry easily and seems to have mood swings
- Avoid siblings and friends. Insist to take days off from school.
TYPES OF DEPRESSION
Different categories of the depression are depending on the mood patterns, behavior changes. .Followings are the most important types of depression.
A person is diagnosed as suffering from major depression if they feel depressed for more than 3-4 days per week and may at least exhibit five of the following symptoms for more than 2 weeks or longer time frame.
- Notable changes in sleeping patterns
- Drastic weight gain or loss in a short period of time
- Feeling guilty and worthless
- Trouble making decisions
- Feel agitated and sluggish
- May complain of having suicidal thoughts
- May complain of feeling drained out of energy
Some women may tend to have major depressive symptoms months or weeks after child birth. They may exhibit following signs after childbirth
- Poor appetite
- Lack of interest
- Thoughts of self-harm or suicide
- Thoughts of harm to the baby
- Feeling of guilt or failure
- Difficulty in concentrating
PREMENSTRUAL DYSPHOROC DISORDER
Women with this time of depression may have signs and symptoms of depression at the start of their period. Prior to the periods, following of their signs may be exhibited.
- An overwhelming feeling
- Trouble in concentration
- Anxiety issues
- Changes in sleeping habits
SITUATIONAL DEPRESSION or STRESS RESPONSE SYNDROME
A person might feel depressed while facing stressful situation in life such as death in family, divorce or loss of a job. Psychotherapy can be helpful in getting out of the depressive phase in these situations
The person suffering from this type might have a temporary escape from depressive mood.
The major signs are symptoms of this type of depression are
- Increase in appetite
- Being oversensitive to criticism
- Heaviness in arms and legs
- Changes in sleeping habits and sleeping more than usual
These individuals might have symptoms of psychosis, hallucination as well as that of major depression.
The major signs and symptoms are as under
- Delusion (a false belief if someone is their enemy or might scheme against them)
- Paranoia (Wrongly perceiving everyone closer to harm them)
- Hallucination (a disorder in which patient might see or hear things were are not actually there)
Depression is one of the most important threats to the health especially in the younger age groups which may greatly reduce the productivity of individual and assert a very negative impact on their well-being.
Doctor shall be consulted if anyone around you have the signs and symptoms of depression, as the suicide rate in depressed individuals is reaching a soaring high limits. Emotional and physical support shall be provided to the patients with depression and stigmatization of mental illness shall be neglected.